Thursday, June 14, 2018

Bees

We added a new addition last year and upped it to 2 this year.  Hives, that is.  I don't remember how this all started.  We talked about getting chickens.  We talked about getting bees.  We talked about Papa G having bee hives at the cabin. I think Papa G was the one that originally wanted bees but we got them first.
I have mentioned that I wanted to blog about it, but just haven't done it. I guessed I put that ownership on my spouse since he is the one doing the heavy lifting with the bee girls. But, I am going to try to put down notes here so that we have a bee reference. We love our bee girls.  We love our bee channel. We also love our bee honey.


Quick Log:

  • Picked up 2 NUC's from Wenatchee in April 2018
  • Put NUC's and frames into 2 brood boxes
  • Added 2nd brood box in May
  • Added honey supers in May (prior to Big R's work trip)
  • Did 1 OXA treatment in May (**prior to honey supers)

Big R has been on a work trip for the past 3 weeks and I have had to do the bee upkeep.  It hasn't been much, but I do my best.  My last check I looked in on Flow Hive and it was super beezy!  Big Blue was less beezy but they were definitely in the top honey super and starting to work on the frames.
Flow Hive on May 20th (new empty frame)

Flow Hive on June 11th... BEEZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment