Monday, June 18, 2018

My bee lessons


  • per some of the members of the PSBKA, it has been a high swarm season.  
  • Don't inspect in the early morning/evening when it is cold and partially dark. It makes them very angry (from a beek Q&A)
  • wear jeans.

So I got home on Friday around lunch time to eat and then attend a work meeting before packing up and heading to a soccer tournament with my girls. Best laid plans... 

I get a text from my neighbor asking if we have a lot of bees. I respond with yes and then look outside at her tree.  There is a swarm in her tree and then I go to our OG flow hive and see that the top box looks nearly empty.  I call Big R and try to figure out the plan of action... yep, our bees have swarmed, how do I capture the swarm or lure them back home.  I search and find a makeshift hive box and put it on a ladder with some empty frames.  Then find a frame of honey and put it in the lure hive. Mark my neighbor is available and I ask for help to make a bottom for the lure hive.  We move it to the ground because there is no way I would be able to move it if it were full of bees.  Not much else to do but wait and hope.

Next day, the lure hive is empty and the bees are still swarmed in neighbors tree.  I call the PSBKA and Ken is really kind at 8:30 on a Saturday morning.  He talks to me about the lure hive, putting a brood frame on a pole (since the swarm is about 30 feet off the ground), or trying to drop the swarm into a bucket and putting them in a new hive.  Also, I should cull some queen cells to prevent future swarms.  All options are not possible because I have to leave for soccer.  I figure the lure hive is our best bet and leave for soccer.

Sunday am.  We still have a swarm in neighbor's tree and we leave for soccer.
Sunday pm.  The swarm is gone. So I decide to service the OG flow hive.  I want to put the empty comb into the OG flow and try to move a brood frame into the top box.  Well, I suit up and put on pants... running pants.  I get the top open and have my little helper.  I have her holding a frame but she is getting nervous so I put it on the ground.  I then am bombarded and get stung in the rear end and the thigh.  Uh oh... they are not happy with me.  I go change into jeans and try to close the hive.  I may have some death on my hands but got the box closed back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment